Cats are incredible creatures. Their dynamic personalities and variety in appearances make them so easy to love. Here are some things you may not have known about cats…
1. A female cat is called a Queen.
2. A male cat is called a Tom.
3. A group of cats is called a clowder.
4. Cats can only climb down trees backwards because of the way their claws are shaped.
5. The most common cat eye colors are green, gold, and orange.
6. The largest cat breed is the Maine Coon, which often weighs in at 20 pounds or more.
7. 7% of cats snore.
8. Cats swish their tail back and forth to demonstrate negative emotions.
9. A cat’s typical body temperature is about 102 degrees Fahrenheit.
10. Owning a cat can reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke by a third.
11. Cats can create over 100 different vocal sounds.
12. The heaviest cat ever recorded weighed 46 pounds.
13. Cats do not have collarbones.
14. If a cat shows you his belly it means he loves you.
15. Cats sweat through their paw pads.
16. A cat’s cerebral cortex has 300 million neurons. Compare that to a dog’s only 160 million.
17. The Ancient Egyptians shaved off their eyebrows to mourn the death of a pet cat.
18. Also in Ancient Egypt, killing a cat (even by accident) resulted in the death penalty.
19. A cat has been mayor of Talkeetna, Alaska for over a decade.
20. A cat’s brain is 90% similar to a human’s.
21. Cats have about 12 whiskers on each side of their faces.
22. A cat can jump about 5 times the length of its tail.
23. Cats spend nearly a third of their waking hours grooming themselves.
24. There are 88 million pet cats in the United States.
25. …and about a third of their lives sleeping.
26. Cats use purring to manipulate humans into giving them food.
27. The largest litter of kittens ever had 19 babies.
28. The tiniest cat ever recorded weighed only 1 lb 8 oz fully grown.
29. 32 muscles control cats’ ears.
30. Due to their genes, tortoiseshells and calicos are nearly always female.
31. Cats can recognize individual human voices.
32. Cats have three eyelids.
33. In Japan, black cats are actually good luck.
34. Cats’ noses have unique patterns similar to our fingerprints.
35. Female cats are usually right pawed, while male cats are often left pawed. Oddly enough, there’s a similar trend in humans.
36. The first cat in space was Felicette in 1963. She survived the trip.
37. Cats hear better than dogs.
38. The most popular cat breed in the United States is the Persian. #2 and #3 are the Maine Coon and Siamese.
39. The Turkish Van breed likes swimming.
40. Some scientists believe cats see grass as red rather than green.
41. Sir Isaac Newton invented the cat flap.
42. Cats’ jaws don’t move sideways.
43. Despite the “cat lady” stereotype, a Gallup poll has revealed men are just as likely to own a cat as women.
44. Adult cats have 30 teeth.
45. Only the claws on a cat’s front paws retract.
46. A cat’s heart beats nearly twice as fast as a human heart.
47. A cat has 230 bones in its body.
48. Cats can’t taste sweet.
49. Most cats are lactose intolerant.
50. Cats “shake hands” by touching noses.
That was a whole bunch of information about the amazing little divas we call our best friends! It just makes you wanna grab the nearest kitty and give them a cuddle, doesn’t it?